Nasir Abbas Tarar is a politician and a leading philanthropist hailing from Chot Dheeran, Tehsil Malakwal, District Mandi Bahauddin. Apart from PPAT, Nasir Abbas Tarar is one of the many supporters of Akhuwat – Pakistan’s largest Interest Free Microfinance Institution. In the recently held local body elections, Nasir Tarar convincingly won the seat for the Chairman of Union Council 80 independently, on the basis of performance and his service towards local communities, towards humanity.
Nasir Tarar believes in the principle of philanthropy. Over the past 5 years, he and his family has donated over Rs. 250 million from their earnings towards charitable causes under the platform of Pakistan Public Aid Trust (formerly known as Nasir Abbas Welfare Society), for the development of the poverty struck and to provide solace to the disaster struck in Mandi Bahauddin and elsewhere. Public benefit programs under this philanthropic venture includes activities related to WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene), Social Protection for Orphans/Widows, Poverty Alleviation with Akhuwat by establishing an interest free microfinance branch in the village of Chot Dheeran, Health interventions, Skill Development, Capacity Building and by promoting healthy and sports activities among the youth.
The trust has been established to bring a sustainable change into the lives of those who have been suffering due to poverty and lack of basic amenities; lack of basic rights. The trust aims to provide relief to the vulnerable segment of the society – the marginalized, the poverty struck and the disaster struck – through programs in the fields of health, education, skill development, livelihood, wedding support, disability programs, water and sanitation interventions, youth development programs and through its In-Kind Donation Program.
Objectives of the Foundation
- To establish, aid, found, assist, manage, set up, administer and run institutions, hospitals, laboratories and diagnostics centers to provide all allied health services for use and benefit of people, especially the poor and those in need.
- To found, maintain, set up, assist, manage, administer, and run schools, colleges, or professional and vocational training institutes for education and development of youth in Pakistan.
- To inform policy making bodies, government, national and international agencies about various environmental challenges and make efforts to protect the environment.
- To make arrangements with the cooperation and approval of local government for providing clean drinking water to general public particularly those living in rural areas in order to promote development, a healthy life and play its role in eradicating water borne diseases.
- To raise voice against violation of human rights, make efforts to facilitate those in need of justice and assist in securing basic human rights of people.